Message from Founding Families
"There are two things we should giv
our children: one is roots
and the other is wings."
- Hodding Carter, Jr.
(borrowed from the Reverend Henry Ward Beecher)
The founding families of Alta Vista School came together with a shared vision: to create a progressive, experience-based, independent elementary and middle school in San Francisco. We were inspired by the unique talent of Head of School Ed Walters in engaging children in exploratory learning.
In 2010, we embarked on the journey of building an innovative community school emphasizing science, math and technology and offering hands-on learning through small class sizes. We were guided by our beliefs that:
- Our amazing, complicated, vast – and yet small – world is designed to be explored
- Girls and boys can and should excel in the critical areas of science and math
- Education should be about learning how to think, not what to think
- Small class size = more opportunities for deeper learning and personal growth
- Taking things apart can be far more illuminating than following an instruction manual
- A strong parent-school partnership is critical to each child’s development
- All families have something valuable to contribute to a school community
- Learning is and should be fun!
Our commitment continues to grow with the addition of each wonderful new family, teacher and child who joins us and shares in this vision for an exciting, rigorous, fun, and innovative learning environment.
Alta Vista School
a forward-looking school for curious young minds